The worst part, though, was last night. I spent a few hours trying to figure out the CSS classes that Rouge outputs. (Rouge is the syntax highlighter plugin that Jekyll uses.) I eventually found a list of all of them and started tryng to tweak it to match the default dark VS Code theme. But things weren’t working right, things like “class” and class names and variables all were getting the same class! Turns out, Rouge is just bad at parsing C++ (understandable, since the C++ grammar is pretty complicated). So I spent another few hours scouring the internet for a different highlighter script. I eventually gave up after trying 4 different packages - I’m just gonna have to live with somewhat ugly C++ code on here. :’(
On a good note, I didn’t spend hours/days trying to write my own Jekyll plugin for image processing for the photo galleries.
I did start writing some build scripting, but that didn’t get far before I found
That plugin ended up being almost exactly what I wanted.
I’m pretty happy with the theme I have now.
It’s basically the default Minima theme, but with some small tweaks for colors and positioning.
It even works decently well on mobile browsers.
I even learned a little trick!
If I’m feeling particularly adventerous, I might try extending that concept to more than one level deep.